The J&K Forest Protection Force, first of its kind in the country, was created under Cabinet Decision No. 12/7 dated 02-12-1996 with manpower creation of 2257 posts on Police Pattern. Thereafter, creation of 170 posts of Supernumerary Posts of Watchers in the year 2013, the sanctioned strength got increased to 2427. The J&K Forest Protection Force was created with the objectives to assist Forest Department and other sister departments in enforcing the Forest Laws on the ground and better protection of Forests and forest property. The enrolled Members of the Force are trained in arms/ammunition and in Forestry; besides short term capsule training courses for the officers deputed from Forest Department.
The command of the Force is vested with the Director of the rank of APCCF/CCF having its headquarter at Srinagar/Jammu being a move office of the State. The command of the Force at regional level is vested with Joint Directors who are of the rank of Conservator of Forests ex-cadre and are operating from both Kashmir and Jammu regions. The Force at the regional level is called Delta Headquarters. In each forest division, the Force is supposed to have a Gamma Unit headed by Deputy Director. At present, 23 Gamma Units covering all the Forest Divisions of the State have been established so far.
The J&K Forest Protection Force Act, 2001 provides for constitution of Forest Protection Force for better protection and security of forest property. Some of the highlights of the act are:
- Section-3(2)- The force shall be the department of the Government on the pattern of Police Department in the State.
- Section-9(c)- Assist, on requisition, a forest officer or an officer of the Wildlife Department or an officer of Soil Conservation Department having Territorial jurisdiction when such requisition is for the protection of Forest Property.
Forest Protection Force members are forest officers as per the J&K Forest Act, (Samvat) 1987 as amended in 1997.
The Jammu & Kashmir Forest (Protection) Force Rules, 2012 issued under SRO-264 of 2012 dated 09-08-2012, the highlights of these rules are:
Working conditions of members of the force.
- Allowances of the force as per Rule-33.
- Seniority of FPF personnel as per Rule-38.
- Power to carry & use weapons as per chapter-10.